Ostrich Leather Skins / Hides
Ostrich (Strutio Camelus) is native to Africa. OstriTec offers ostrich skin averaging 15sqft. Approximately 2/3 of these skins are full quill and 1/3 are partial or no quill. We stock ostrich leather in our USA warehouse, available for immediate delivery. OstriTec delivers ostrich leather to the Belt, Garment, Handbag and Western Industries. Please contact us for for any question you might have.
- Scientific name is struthio camelus
- Ostrich is farm-raised for the meat. The skin is a byproduct.
- CITES status is non-appendix
Size and Grade Description
- Approximately 15 sft total.
- There is about 9 sqft of total full quill area
- 9 sft of partial and no-quill area
- The Center Full Quill Area is about 24" x 24"
The Approximate Thickness Of These Ostrich Skins Are:
- About 0.6/0.8 mm in the thinner, partial quill and no quill areas
- About 1.0/1.2 mm in the meatier full quill areas
OstriTec Offers Various Grades Of Ostrich Skin As Available:
- Grade 1: There is no defects in the center full quill area, ideal for large handbags and luggage
- Grade 2: Only one defect or small cluster of defects affecting one quadrant of the full quill area, ideal for anything other than large handbags and luggage
- Grade 3: The are one defect or small cluster of defects affecting two quadrants of the full quill area, ideal for footwear, belts and small leather good.
- Grade 4: There are one defect or small cluster of defects affecting three quadrants of the full quill area, ideal for belts and small leather goods.
I'll base my review on the fact that I have only bought a single hide, so keep that in mind. The hide arrived in a small box, well packaged. The hide is absolutely beautiful. I've never worked with ostrich before, so this was a first to me. I ordered form Ostritec because they have very competitive pricing. I love the cognac color. I would say it skews more to the red/orange color spectrum. The pearls are nicely burnished and shiny and I would say the rest of the skin has a bit of a satin shine to it. It is quite thin...around 1.0mm. Once you remove the fleshy back side of the hide, you will be left with about 0.6mm thin skin. Even though it is very thin, ostrich is extremely tough. Luxurious but tough.
Received my ostrich leather hides yesterday. Very happy with quality (grading and feel). Will definitely be a customer again in future.
Our ostrich leather was delivered fast and we are very happy with the product.
Good communication, fast delivery and great product at an awesome price. Will buy again.
Thanks for the good communication and quality ostrich leather. I am sure our clients will be more than happy with the boots we are making them! Will be in touch again soon!
I am very impressed with the service I have received.